Monday, July 10, 2017

Mondays Need a Good Book: BORN TO TREASON



THE BLURB: "Joan Pryce is not only a Catholic during the English Reformation but also Welsh, and comes from a family of proud revolutionaries. But when a small act of defiance entangles her in a deadly conspiracy, a single misstep may lead her straight to the gallows. Now, Joan must navigate a twisting path that could cost her life, her freedom, and her chance of finding love."

THE SCOOP: I loved, loved, loved this book set in Wales under Mary, Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth. The main character is a practicing Catholic who hides her faith and helps others escape persecution and death--and she's betrothed to a man who turns Catholics in. 

The history in this book is pitch-perfect (I heard that the author did her master's thesis on this time period), and the details are woven into the story perfectly. I was completely immersed in this world.

This book's language was like poetry. In fact, I bought an ebook with funky formatting, and after one page, I thought I'd purchased a book in verse, and I was ready to stop reading (I know, I know, it's embarrassing, but sometimes I just can't handle poetry). But I couldn't stop reading despite the funky formatting. The language is just too lovely, and, combined with a story tackling faith and love and belief--WOW. It's a jewel of a book. 

THE VERDICT: Pick it up when you have time to savor lovely language and immerse yourself in philosophical dilemmas. You won't be sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment