Friday, October 20, 2017

Caught My Fancy Friday: Midwest Storymakers Conference, Part I

I taught for the first time at a writing conference! I attended the Midwest Storymakers and Indie Hub conference a few weeks ago and taught a class on research. It went well . . . I hope? I enjoyed teaching it, at least. I probably had enough material for a couple of classes, but my philosophy has always been more of a fire-hose-gives-everyone-water approach. I don't enjoy classes where teachers appear to struggle to fill time.

It was marvelous. I felt a bit like a fraud, since I'm unpublished, but, hey! My topic was research--more specifically, using research to plot and world-build (I think of research as the lazy woman's world-building). And after writing an undergraduate honor's thesis, a master's thesis, and multiple highly researched manuscripts, I do feel (over)qualified to teach that topic.

Let me know if you're stuck researching . . . I'm a good helper with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment