Monday, October 23, 2017

Mondays Need a Good Book: THE INQUISITOR'S TALE

The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog 

THE BLURB: 1242. On a dark night, travelers from across France cross paths at an inn and begin to tell stories of three children. Their adventures take them on a chase through France: they are taken captive by knights, sit alongside a king, and save the land from a farting dragon. On the run to escape prejudice and persecution and save precious and holy texts from being burned, their quest drives them forward to a final showdown at Mont Saint-Michel, where all will come to question if these children can perform the miracles of saints.
THE SCOOP: I loved everything about this book. The meticulous research, the medieval setting, the unlikely friendships, the redemption of {some} characters, the storytelling frame, the lovely ending, and, most of all, its meditations on faith and God and why evil exists in a world made by God.

The book's twists and turns surprised and delighted me, and I loved seeing bits and pieces of medieval history I remembered from my reading in college. The illustrations are delightful as well.
 
THE VERDICT: My 11-year-old gave it to me, saying, "I don't know if you like this kind of book, but I think it's really good." He was shocked at how much I loved it. There's something magical about a wonderful middle-grade book that both elementary kids and moms can go crazy over.

No comments:

Post a Comment