Friday, November 24, 2017

Caught My Fancy Friday: Thanksgiving

I prefer 'Thanksgiving' to 'gratitude' or 'thankfulness.' The word has an old-fashioned ring and is both a noun and a verb.

In my writing life, I give thanks for:
  • a husband who has never complained about the time and money I devote to writing
  • children who critique my manuscripts with a heavier hand than nasty Goodreads reviewers
  • parents who filled our home with books and supplied me with great reads 
  • the libraries that widened my horizons in youth and saved my sanity as a young mother
  • my local writing group who offer emotional support as well as critiques
  • my first local critique group, now disbanded, who started this journey with me
  • my book club, for reminding me that no book appeals to all readers and that I can appreciate a book I dislike--and for some of my closest friendships
  • writing conferences that leave me rejuvenated and determined to work
  • generous authors who share their wisdom and paths to publication
  • my agent, who knows when to be tough and when to be gentle
  • the many dear writing friends scattered across the country who swap manuscripts, publishing horror stories, and encouragement with me
  • the thousands of books I've read that have opened my eyes to the human condition in myself and others

No comments:

Post a Comment