Friday, September 1, 2017

Caught My Fancy Friday: The Cardross Necklace

The Cardross Necklace is fake. Georgette Heyer (the one and only romance writer, as far as I'm concerned) made it up for her novel April Lady. She describes it as a (hideous to her main character) gold and emerald necklace, with flowers set on little coils of gold so it quivers.

{I looked all over the internet and didn't find anything that reminded me of it, surprisingly, and I maybe have a new business idea of manufacturing jewelry and clothing described in my favorite books. Yep, pretty sure there's a BOOMING market for that.}




Image result for emerald gold flowers necklace nineteenth century
Image result for emerald gold flowers necklace nineteenth century

These are the best hideous emerald concoctions I found from the early nineteenth century. That's a stomacher brooch on the bottom.

And here's an emerald, ruby, diamond, and gold giardinetti neckace, circa 1760. Now, THIS one I'd wear in a heartbeat!


Image result for emerald gold flowers necklace
I remember reading an interview with Stephenie Meyer where she talked about looking for designer formals online for her fancy vampires to wear to prom. I was so shocked--I'd always assumed authors made everything up! Describing a picture you see online? Cheating!

Of course, now I know writers cheat all the time. But there's still something enchanting about imagining something gorgeously spectacular and bringing it to life on the page with nothing but words. Sometimes if I can't figure out what something would look like--like 1920s spats, for example, which confused me for YEARS--I look at pictures, but I usually find my imagination is better than anything google spits up.

Except for that 1760 necklace. Maybe it will make a cameo appearance in my next manuscript.

No comments:

Post a Comment