Monday, September 18, 2017

Mondays Need a Good Book: THE MYSTERY OF THE CLOCKWORK SPARROW

The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1) 

THE BLURB: You are cordially invited to attend the Grand Opening of Sinclair’s department store!

Enter a world of bonbons, hats, perfumes and MYSTERIES around every corner. WONDER at the daring theft of the priceless CLOCKWORK SPARROW! TREMBLE as the most DASTARDLY criminals in London enact their wicked plans! GASP as our bold heroines, Miss Sophie Taylor and Miss Lilian Rose, CRACK CODES, DEVOUR ICED BUNS and vow to bring the villians to justice…

THE SCOOP: The was shelved as YA in my library, and the main character is 14, but it read like middle grade to me. Awesome middle grade.

This is like throwing Nancy Drew in the BBC's show Selfridges. I want to move into Sinclair's department store myself after reading it. I did feel like the mystery was a bit obvious and unsurprising, but then, I've read a darn lot of mysteries in my day, and I imagine it would feel totally fresh to a middle-grade reader.

The characters are endearing, the world rich and layered, and THE HATS OH I LOVE THE HATS.

THE VERDICT: I picked it up because I thought it was steampunk, not straight historical, thanks to 'clockwork' in the title. But I have no problem quitting books, and I didn't want to put this one down. Darling!

No comments:

Post a Comment