Friday, September 15, 2017

Caught My Fancy Friday: Writing Groups

My writing group met this morning. I have online critique pals I love, but there's something so therapeutic about meeting in person with other writers.

I love watching members of my writing group grow in skill to tell better stories.

I love being wowed by the mind-blowing awesome plots and characters they come up with.

I love having friends who get the writing business.

I love getting feedback from readers who have known about my story since it was a mess of unrelated threads.

I love cheering on writers on this same (sometimes rotten) path.

I love learning about genres I don't write.

Some people I know are pretty exclusive about their writing circles--new members have to submit their work and be evaluated by current members. That's not my speed. I've worked with brand-new writers who are on their first chapter and writers who churn out amazing manuscript after amazing manuscript, and guess what? Every kind gives me valuable feedback on my writing. And the writers who get better are the ones who keep trying. Who keep plugging along. I've had talented writing friends who quit, who never finish a manuscript, as well as novice writers who improve by leaps and bounds because they keep trying, keep getting feedback, and keep improving.

If you want to write, get a writing group!

No comments:

Post a Comment